StarXTerminator is an AI-powered tool to remove stars from astronomical photographs. This allows separate processing of stars and background objects, or simply leaving out the stars altogether. It is available for PixInsight and Photoshop. The photoshop version also works with Affinity Photo.
StarXTerminator uses an advanced convolutional neural network with a unique architecture suited to this task. This network has been extensively trained on photographs from a wide range of instruments, from camera lenses to the James Webb space telescope. Small stars, big stars, huge stars, and even diffraction spikes are recognized and removed, with minimal impact to non-stellar features.
StarXTerminator is very easy to use, with no sliders to tweak or parameters to adjust. Check out the StarXTerminator usage notes for tips on how to best apply it to your images.
✅ Affinity Photo
StarXTerminator is available as a plug-in process module for PixInsight and Photoshop. The photoshop version also works with Affinity Photo.
StarXTerminator requires a computer with a modern CPU having “AVX” instructions required to run neural networks. Older CPUs, and even some modern stripped-down CPUs in mini-PCs and lightweight laptops lack AVX instructions and are not supported. Request a trial before purchasing to make sure StarXTerminator will work on your machine.
Neural network computations can benefit greatly from GPU acceleration. On Macs, GPU acceleration of StarXTerminator is automatic, leveraging the “CoreML” software library provided by Apple. Performance is particularly fast on recent Apple silicon based Macs (M1, M2, etc.) due to their extremely performant built-in GPU and neural engine hardware.
On Windows and Linux machines, GPU acceleration takes a bit more effort.
- PixInsight 1.8.8-9 or later, or
- Photoshop CS4 or later (64-bit only), or
- Affinity Photo 1.0 or later
- MacOS 11 (Big Sur) or later
- GPU/Neural Engine recommended for fast performance, but not required. External GPUs are not supported.
- Apple silicon neural engines and GPUs (e.g., M1, M2) are supported natively
- Windows 10 or later
- Modern CPU capable of running neural networks (AVX, SSE instruction set extensions)
- Linux (PixInsight only)
- Ubuntu 18.04 or later, or equivalent (glibc 2.27 or later required)